Monday, January 11, 2010

Mutual Fund Monday

It is a pattern that has been bashed into the heads of all short term traders.  The gap up Monday and further strength throughout the day.  So it is no surprise that we are gapping up again after the strong day on "bad" news on Friday.  The money on the sidelines is being put to work, the funds can't hold out any longer, they have to come in and buy or be left behind. 

Since we are at new highs, one of my favorite plays is to fade the first attempt at a breakout into a new high on the S&P. Usually it fails.  Especially likely to fail today because we are close to the 1150 target on the S&P.  Thus, I will be a seller this morning, initiating a short position anticipating intraday weakness.  I expect any strength in the first hour to be a sell opportunity.  Target price is 1138 on the ES. 


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

did u get short es was 1147 last night

Market Owl said...

I didn't get short as much as I wanted, and I had to lower my order to get some filled. My target remains at 1138.

Anonymous said...

You're target to get out from the trade is 1138?

Anonymous said...

your

Anonymous said...

What happened to you dawg?

You used to be a big ass Kodiak grizzly.

Now you're like a Koala bear or a panda.

1138? That's it?

Im not getting out till we hit at least 1125.

Hopefully AA disappoints today, and between now and Thursday there will be nothing.

Let's see INTC and JPM, I don't expect nothing surprising from them.

Market Owl said...

I am just adjusting to the volatility. We could get to 1136, but I don't see us going much lower. I don't want to get caught in another updraft just over 2 points. Thus my 1138 target.

I'll be back to being a Kodiak when the market gets choppier. I don't like to short dull markets.

Anonymous said...

LOL, by the time we get the choppiness, the market will already have gone down big. I'm positioned now, and I will not waver dawg until I am proven convincingly that I am on the wrong side of the market. None of this take this horse to the water to drink shit. I start drinking now.

Anonymous said...

These small caps are fucking going nutz dawg. All of them. They are rotating into the left out names and shell companies.

Market Owl said...

I like the action so far. I have lowered my target to 1136. We are probably going to trend lower till at least 2:00 PM ET.

Market Owl said...

Same thing happened with small caps in 2004. You had the market going nowhere for 6 months and very speculative no name small caps would fly higher randomly based on the theme of the month....feels exactly like that time period.

Anonymous said...

That's good for me hope it happens.

What is this news about the Fed buying stocks and adding 1.4 trln to their balance sheet to buy more assets.

Is this real?