Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Bulldozer Closing In

The dip buyers are still actively picking up dimes in front of the coming bulldozer.  Even though I believed that the dip on Thursday/Friday would be bought, I couldn't pull the buy trigger just because of the weak backdrop for stocks in the current environment.  Declining year over year earnings growth, high valuations, and newfound optimism on emerging markets that is based on dollar weakness hopes, not realities. 

The fund managers haven't been actively adding equity exposure this year according to reports, but I get the sense that they will start doing so slowly over the next few weeks.  The quant funds are usually the first to buy the rebound, then come the active managed funds, and then when the up move is over and starting the downtrend, retail comes in to buy "cheap".  I expect a repeat of this base case scenario over the next month. 

Unless the markets trade more volatile and there are more opportunities, I will refrain from making unnecessary blog posts.  As the market has slowed down and become less favorable, I've reduced my blog posts about the current market.  At a later date, I may write a few posts about trading in general, when I find the time and motivation to do so. 

I've noticed over the years since I have written these posts on the market that they affect my trading, and sometimes for the worse.  The more I post, the more I seem to overtrade.  Overtrading is fine when it is a favorable trading environment, but if its a one way train, its best to just get on the train and hang on, or stay out of the way. 

I do sense a longer term opportunity brewing but I will be patient in putting on the position.  Needless to say, it is on the short equity side.  In the meantime, I am waiting for more concrete signs and rumors of a US/China trade deal, which should put a local top in the emerging markets and set up a long ride down. 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why you are great.

Anonymous said...

Trading like most things in life are luck and a matter of being at the right place right time. Sure Michael Jordan worked hard but is also lucky to be blessed by God with his one in million athleticism, height, and a smart and selfish desire to win and also the best coach in history. Because your situation in life is basically luck and blessings from God you have to learn to count your blessings and stack your chips off the table and stop counting on yourself and pretend your luck will never run out. Because it will since luck runs out. Good traders should be aware of this.

OL DAWG said...

Sold all Agn and wtw calls for little over breakevem. Long QQQ May 17 172 puts for 5.50. Let the games begin

OL DAWG said...

sold qqq puts at 5.30. Not ready

Market Owl said...

Last time you bailed early SPX dropped 50 points in 2 days.

OL DAWG said...

Yeah I know I could have made a little bit that time. But I think we are going higher than 2800 this time and feel that there is too much pent up enthusiasm with the china tariff talks.

OL DAWG said...

Heeyah we go agaeein

Long IWM May 160 Puts at 4.57.

2/3 position.

soong said...

time to short. 2810.

OL DAWG said...

Long W 160 April puts at 10.86

OL DAWG said...

Sold W calls at 8.40. This is one of the most overbloated stocks in the market. Will have to reshort this a little higher.

OL DAWG said...

I mean puts

OL DAWG said...

Long KHC April 18 32.50 calls at 1.03

OL DAWG said...

Sold KHC calls at 1.55

OL DAWG said...

Sold IWM calls at 5.62. Still bearish but didnt want gains to evaporate

OL DAWG said...

Long May 17 QQQ 173 puts at 5.10

OL DAWG said...

1/3 position

OL DAWG said...

Sold QQQ puts at 4.45

OL DAWG said...

Long JNUG May 17 $9 calls at 1.52