Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Beyond the Next Dip

Sometimes I get caught up in the day to day movements and forget to see the forest while staring at a tree.  Livermore always said the big money was in the long term moves, not the short term fluctuations.  Whatever short term fluctuations we have in risk assets: stocks and commodities should be used to grab the long term position.  So we must do whatever we can to get a long term position in line with the long term trend.  I believe the long term trend is up. I will follow that theme and look to get long, not short.  I will still short, but only when the set up is very ripe. Otherwise, I'll be more focused on long setups.

I can't put all my belief in sentiment.  Especially when its so fashionable in the media to mention the sentiment surveys as a contrarian indicator.  It is counter to what other things are telling me.  The Fed's QE, the improving jobs picture, and the lack of retail enthusiasm and equity fund inflows.  

No comments: