Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Economic Gloom

I can't help but notice that probably over 80% of the articles that I read lately about the economy are gloomy.  Since most people think like the herd, most people are expecting lower prices for stocks. 

I like to compare the market mood for points in time when prices are at similar levels.  We were at 1089 on ES in October 2009-November 2009, January-February 2010, and May 2010-current time period.  Although sentiment has improved since May, it is still rather gloomy.  Definitely gloomier than in the October 2009-November 2009 period.  It is similar to what we saw in February, but the gloom has lasted a lot longer this time.

If the stock market matched the negativity, I see no edge.  But if the stock market is stronger than the sentiment suggests, that is a positive divergence.  That is why I can't be too bearish here.

No comments: